homestead - Re: [Homestead] Soil fertility

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Soil fertility
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 11:05:21 -0800

A friend bought an old dairy farm and it had one of those underground holding tanks for when they washed down the barns. She uses that to make her "tea" and has old water truck that she got from the local fairgrounds that they used on the race track and used it to spray the fields. Works great!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <eureka AT hctc.net>

Has anyone on the list experimented with large scale
compost tea application? Our friend who raises grass fed
longhorns here made a giant compost tea brewing station in
one of his barns and applies the stuff to all his pastures
over a couple thousand acres with amazing results. An
organic garden center in Austin that produces and sells it
for consumer use recently told me it would be easy enough
to set up my own. I know this is about adding microbes to
the soil, but it seems to me that it would go hand in hand
with enhancing soil fertility and could be accomplished
very cheaply for any size of property. I plan to create a
set up soon.