homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Alaska Experiment

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Alaska Experiment
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:38:33 -0400

That is an awesome production..one of my favorites, but then, when I see Alaska, my Finn genes awaken.

WF Smith wrote:
I highly recommend "Alone in the Wilderness". It's available at
http://dickproenneke.com/index.html The site has more information about Mr.
Proenneke.

I purchased that DVD, and "Alaska: Silence and Solitude" from the website
after seeing it broadcast on PBS one saturday. I'd bet your public library
has copies to lend.

It's a story of how a man alone survived in Alaska- with no drama like Bev
mentions. You have to figure out for yourself why Proenneke might have left
his wife and son in the lower 48 and took off to Alaska.