homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food prices and farming

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food prices and farming
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 19:37:29 -0700

I see it in entirely different terms. I do agree that we need more urban farmers, people who produce as much of their own food as they can and even some surplus for sale on urban lots. But the articles were addressing farmers, those who make all or a large part of their incomes by farming. Those people are disappearing. The average age of US farmers is in the high 50s and the costs of starting a farm in this day of industrialized agriculture is beyond many who would like to take up farming. My cousin can farm because his mother owns a chunk of land and he has equipment purchased by his father many years ago. The farmer I am currently helping can farm because his mother owns a chunk of land and he has equipment purchased by years of working as a Nat Semi sales engineer.

In many areas of the world small farmers are being driven off the land. Costs of inputs are rising while farm subsidies in the first world are making farming less profitable unless a large land owner takes on industrial methods. Those displaced become the fodder for slums and a source of cheap labor. Business need cheap labor so they encourage this mass movement from farms to slums. That is a migration that will be difficult to reverse and the two articles do not begin to address that, they push for more of the same, bigger more industrialized farms.

The homesteader (as I define them) is unique. They are willing to combine things like simple living with a self sufficient lifestyle. Many would like to do so but are stopped by things like the need for a job to exist in today's economy and to purchase land. Many trends are helping people move in this direction but few are taking advantage and those that are are more interested in living in rural settings rather than living a homesteader lifestyle.

Don Bowen KI6DIU