homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food prices and farming

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food prices and farming
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 10:11:52 -0500

On May 4, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Don Bowen wrote:

More water is a real problem in many parts of the world. Climate change is changing rainfall patterns and population growth and shift is placing heavy strains on existing water supplies. To increase water to crops is to increase irrigation from deep aquifers and distant surface water, both requiring expensive pumping energy.

I recently read about the water challenge China faces. Turns out that much of their water comes from the very high Tibet Plateau. Reminds me of California getting so much water from the Sierras. Now I know one reason why the Chinese are strong-arming the Dalai Lama's people.

Prediction: large farms close to cities will go in two directions: first is to become nearby grocery store suppliers and second is to be broken up into homestead subdivisions. The five-acre "ranchettes" I despise will come back into strong favor.