homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aaaargh - Tick Removal

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aaaargh - Tick Removal
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 23:04:59 -0400

Don't yank. Just get a good hold on him, either with tweezers or your hand(don't squeeze too hard tho) and pull gently, keeping a steady pressure on for about 30 seconds or so, then stop, wait 10 seconds, and do it again. I've never had one hold on past 4 cycles of this, and they eventually let go and come off, head and all. I then wash my hands and pour alcohol or peroxide on the bite. They made a little plastic spoon with a slit to hold and remove ticks with, but if the tick is still small and not yet engorged, they are harder to remove with the spoon, but whether you use the spoon, tweezers or your fingers straight out, the pressure pull on for 30 off for 10 works pretty good.

Bev, also livin' in tick country.

roxann wrote:
This is all I've ever done for ticks on myself and the animals. No
infections from tick removals so far. never had one in a delicate or
hard to reach spot, but if i did i guess i'd have to come up with
some other way. there are SO many ticks this year already!

Roxann, NW AR http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com http://arseedswap.blogspot.com

-------Original Message------- From: Gloria Morris
<gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com> Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aaaargh - Tick
Removal Sent: 09 May '08 01:11

I usually just use fingernails and grab the little sucker and yank.
:)

Gloria