homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aaaargh - Tick Removal

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aaaargh - Tick Removal
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 21:35:28 -0500

On May 8, 2008, at 9:28 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

When I first came to live here the place was lousy with ticks due to a
caretaker not treating her dog or mowing.

Yikes! Guineas, you need guineas. I'm down to one, but she's holding
her own against the ticks. I'm hoping to replenish them this year. In
the meantime, I mow where I want to walk, and check the dogs twice a
day.

I once bought a dozen guineas from a neighbor. They went home. We brought them back and put them in the hen house for a couple days. Finally got them to stay here, but they insisted on roosting in the big walnut next to the house. Coons picked them off one by one.

Research says raise guineas from chicks so they know where home is and especially train them to believe that sleeping in a house is appropriate. Guineas are semi-wild and resist domestication. When next I get them I intend to get a dozen or so eggs and put them under a broody hen so when they hatch they will bond with her as their mother.