homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aaaargh - Tick Removal

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aaaargh - Tick Removal
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 21:11:21 -0500

On May 8, 2008, at 9:00 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

. The worse ticks I ever came across was
in early spring when we went hiking in southern Illinois's Shawnee
National Forest. Fortunately, it was cool enough that we were wearing
jeans, but we had to stop every few minutes and brush the ticks off
our shoes, socks, and pants.

When I first came to live here the place was lousy with ticks due to a caretaker not treating her dog or mowing. Among other efforts, I put dog tick collars on my pull-on boots. I also made a strong wettable sulphur solution and dipped my Levis into it and hung them to drip dry. It helped a lot.

A friend here and I are fully agreed that woods walks are only sensible during the winter.