homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, to rotate or not to rotate

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, to rotate or not to rotate
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 20:58:50 EDT

> Wondering, do you guys prefer bush varieties as opposed to rambling vine
> varieties of summer (and winter) squashes, when there is a choice?

I, with space aplenty and to spare, much prefer the bush variety of squashes,
cucumbers, and most melons (but not watermelons). The bush summer squash
varieties of various zukes, crooknecks, and patty pan take up very little
room
and a few plants will bury you in the squashes. I've found that cucumbers of
whatever variety yield well for only two or three weeks then get senile and
virus laden and the fruits are bitter, curled, and unproductive. So I plant
the
bush varieties and plant new patches of them every two weeks all summer. At
the first sign the plants are losing their grip I dig them under and turn my
attention to the next patch.

James </HTML>