homestead - [Homestead] Cutworms

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cutworms
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 21:02:50 EDT

I lost two cabbage plants to cutworms last night. Didn't actually "lose"
them, the worms cut off the leaves but left the bud so I dug them up and put
them
in pots to see if they will come back out but replace them with others in the
bed.

I don't do well with collars. But tomorrow I break out my secret weapon
against cutworms, and since I like you all, I will share it.

Dampen some oat bran with a solution of BT and scatter it around the brassica
plants, just a little is enough. The thrice cursed worms eat that in
preference to biting the stems of the plants and it kills them deader than 4
o'clock.

James </HTML>