homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, to rotate or not to rotate

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, to rotate or not to rotate
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 22:23:59 -0400

> Open air space and good organic plants will resit the diseases. But I see
> little evidence that rotation does all that much good. I am suspecting that
> crop rotation is yet another one of those things that is necessary in
> agribusiness operations that gets subliminated into the kitchen garden
> without examining
> very deeply that it is apropos or not.

I agree. Have you ever read any Eliot Coleman gardening books, His
rotation suggestions make your head spin in a home garden. Just about
impossible.

I do think that cole crops are good to rotate around. Following
legumes with heavy nitrogen feeders makes sense. Not intentionally
planting the same crop over and over in the same sopt makes sense.

Now, Gene brings this up every year, and I've read that tomatoes
actually benefit from being grown in the same plot every year. That
seems odd.

Rob - Va