homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 20:53:59 -0500

On May 1, 2008, at 7:42 PM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

After turning over the last raised bed (and taking apart two of
them--removing the wood edges), we planted 24 broccoli plants and put
compost in each hole and also applied it on top. The compost originally
contained egg shells so hope the calcium content of the compost is
sufficient.

I've long been curious but never did the work to find out just how long it takes for egg shells to dissolve into calcium and whatever. Anyone know? I sometimes crumble them, but most often they stay as they were when the eggs got put into the pan. It just came to me that many years ago I used to toss them into a large paper bag that would let them dry really good and then before putting them into compost piles I would smash them into coarse dust with a piece of two-by-four.