homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 08:23:20 EDT

> My husband bought 50# of Kennebec seed potatoes. No kidding. When he came
> into the house carrying the bag I about fell over.

Don't feel as if you are overplanting. We planted 150# of boughten seed
potatoes (Yukon gold, red Pontiac, and Irish cobbler) and about 70# of saved
seed
potato (Caribe, blue, Kerr's pink). About 700' of row. We don't plan on
selling any potatoes.

This is for our family of six (which includes teenagers) plus extended family
of parents and aunts and such. It's true we work potatoes into a lot of the
cuisine. But also potatoes are excellent animal feed. Rabbits in the winter
thrive on boiled potatoes, as do pigs and geese, and chickens.

The day after the last freeze this week the potatoes are all up out of the
ground and a day after that they were 3" tall. If we are fortunate and have
no
more frosts, this is going to be a very good year for potatoes.

James </HTML>