homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:23:33 -0400

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> A humorous aphorism attributed to E.B. White summarizes these
> distinctions:
> To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
> To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
> To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
> To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
> To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
> And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

E.B. White was great.

I eat pie almost anytime, breakfast is a perfect time for leftover blueberry
pie.

In Indiana where I was born, the regional specialty is Sugar Cream Pie
(though another favorites is fruit pie of any kind). In fact, you can buy
the Mrs. Wick's brand frozen Sugar Cream Pie in stores there and nowhere
else. My Grandma Van Meter had two recipes for Sugar Cream Pie, one slightly
different from the other. The closest thing in the south is Shoo Fly Pie or
Buttermilk Pie, but it's still not quite the same.

Lisa