homestead - Re: [Homestead] Biomass Crop Supreme

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Biomass Crop Supreme
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:52:37 -0400

ROFL.....

"It's not invasive in clay soil"......

I'd be forever suspicious of whoever told you that. It is invasive here in clay soil, sand, gravel, rich soil, compost piles, wet soil, dry soil, salty roadsides, and it's working hard on the exposed granite ledge roadbed a quarter mile to the south of here. It sends up new shoots from far-reaching rhizomes, tiny bits of rhizomes, tiny bits of tiny root off the the rhizomes, stem pieces, just about any other way it can. It makes stands so dense nothing else will grow, for sure. Also ruins the ground there for several years if one is lucky enough to eradicate a batch of it. Keeps the ground loose so not even good for erosion control.

Deer won't eat it, even when nothing else is green: bad sign.

When I moved here, I had none. Apparently a truck moving fill soil lost some up by the mailbox (very salty roadside where winter/spring runoff flows, mixed gravel on upper side, clay below). Within one year there was a patch 20 feet across, this in shade under tall ash trees. It has taken 14 years to beat it into submission and that means never going to the mailbox without a tool in hand unless there is snow on the ground....and the diggings we put in the fire barrel, having seen what happened when a neighbor put a pile of knotweed clippings on his compost pile......

"softest stem" is also not a term I'd use with this stuff.......

Whoever told you that hates you, Bill!

Susan Jane, in Maine

Bill Jones wrote:
Yesterday I discovered Japanese knotweed. It has the softest stem for cutting, and one stalk grows to be huge! Today I researched it some online. It's not invasive in clay soil, nor does it sprout from seed in the north, or without pollination from a separate male plant.