homestead - Re: [Homestead] vodo economics

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] vodo economics
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:56:00 -0400

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> >Put spinach in the ground yesterday and hope it wasn't too late (there's
> >the timing issue),
> Some of the sweetest spinach I have ever had was harvested in January and
> February. The cold weather and short days allowed slow growing and the
> sugars to build. Spinach harvested during March was not nearly as sweet.

That's the sort of thing you only learn through long-time trial and effort
or gleaned from others. I've heard of planting in fall to overwinter, but
most around here plant in spring. I thought I missed the boat, but wanted to
try anyway. So far I'm giving myself an 'A' for sugar snap peas and a 'C'
for spinach. My spinach may not be worth eating (assuming it germinates),
but the effort was there. Hopefully it will be edible though it may make
good compost.

I believe it's also time or past time for broccoli & cauliflower, decided to
pass this year. Had a bad experience trying to grow broccoli before, need to
develop some good garden karma before I retry.

Lisa