homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethanol and Corn

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethanol and Corn
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:18:31 -0500

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:
> >It's not a total waste. The mash makes wonderful animal feed. They
> >used to give it away, but I'm betting they don't any more.
> It is mostly liquid so transportation is expensive. If a feedlot is
> collocated hear the plant it is a viable product otherwise it is just too
> expensive to transport.

Of course, you'd have to figure in transport, but back when we had a
dairy, ADM was giving the stuff away and it was fluffy moist stuff
that could be dumped into the back of a pickup, It would be hard to
believe that any ethanol plant wouldn't have their own feedlot to use
whatever the byproduct is. Margins are way too close.

Here in the center of Illinois it would be incredibly easy to have a
feedlot attached to the ADM plant. I'm betting they already have such.

Marie