homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bev -- incoming

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bev -- incoming
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 04:50:21 -0500

On Apr 4, 2008, at 8:43 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

I'm guessing you are talking about the weather..lol

The weather forecast sites I use showed serious tornado activity in NW Georgia, including Rome and Floyd County.

Nothing serious or severe here, just good Spring rains. They say we may
get 3 or 4 inches tomorrow...woohoo! Maybe the creek will run!

Happy days are here again . . . .

Things are already green here; the dogwoods started blooming yesterday.
The redbuds are at peak(nice lavender color for those that don't have
the view), and most hardwoods now have that light green tint they get
just before they leaf out and block the sky.

You are a week or so ahead of Heartwood. Driving in Wednesday I saw a few redbuds beginning to bloom. My dogwoods have fat buds but will not open for another week or so. I am most appreciative when the redbud and dogwood bloom overlaps, my kind of eye candy.

They say the lakes around
here are back at normal levels(here being NW Georgia, not other parts of
the state), but we have historically had less drought effects than other
parts of the state.

That is excellent news. I'm sure I was not alone in being concerned over your water situation. How is the new well now?

I'm envious of those who have the time to put in a full garden. I
planted my garlic last Fall, but that, along with some onions and
potatoes, is about all I have in the ground right now.

Yesterday was the first day I've been able to do anything I wanted. I wanted garlic in the ground. A sack of potatoes I left hanging in the basement is sprouting, so they are next for the ground. As soon as I get Magnolia started and the crossing made usable.

I may lay out of
work next week and try to get some veggies and herbs planted. I tried
to take vacation last week, but it was denied. Don't they realize I
have better things to do, like PLANT STUFF??? :)

While digging the garlic bed yesterday I was musing on the mindset of gardeners. Seems to me that in addition to being classic optimists we both romantics and realists. The term "grounded" is New Agey but we are the epitome of the condition.