homestead - Re: [Homestead] syrup making

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] syrup making
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:02:06 -0600

Thanks Keith & Karen,

That's what I'd heard. In the months of January and February maybe about half our nights are below or right at freezing with daytime temps anywhere from 50-90 degrees. The other half of the days we have gulf moisture "overrunning" and the evenings are only 40-50 degrees. I think our weather is too inconsistent for syrup making.

Maple syrup will have to be one of those extras outside of our 100-mile diet. (Although we are thinking about getting bees for honey next year). Maybe I can find someone with which to trade our native product: chile pequins (10 on the Scoville scale) which grow in forests along our dry creek with someone who has syrup...we put them up in vinegar and make a "near death experience" salsa.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas