homestead - [Homestead] Making Maple Syrup

  • From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Making Maple Syrup
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 05:26:36 -0700

Sage asks:

> We actually have a small vestige of native Big Tooth
Maples left in our canyon from glacial days that give us
some occasional fall color. I'm sure they look like mere
shrubs compared to what you have up north. The majority
are in a state park aptly named "Lost Maples" but I have a
large one right outside my kitchen door. I've often
wondered if I could tap it to make syrup--can anyone tell
me if our relatively temperate weather here would hinder
the collection of enough sap to make syrup?

My understanding is that freezing nights and above-freezing days are what's
needed for a good sugar run. Since the run is over when the trees' buds open
(the sap gets bitter), I suppose that in mild climates there aren't enough
days where the sap is of good quality. It is one thing that I regret about
living in this Oregon climate.

On another topic, I split off five offshoots from my rhubarb plant, which
have all taken, as well as two plants from last year that I had thought
dead. It looks like I will have no shortage of rhubarb this year!

Karen Black
Blodgett, OR

  • [Homestead] Making Maple Syrup, Karen L. Black, 03/26/2008