homestead - Re: [Homestead] syrup making

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] syrup making
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:29:10 -0600

We actually have a small vestige of native Big Tooth Maples left in our canyon from glacial days that give us some occasional fall color. I'm sure they look like mere shrubs compared to what you have up north. The majority are in a state park aptly named "Lost Maples" but I have a large one right outside my kitchen door. I've often wondered if I could tap it to make syrup--can anyone tell me if our relatively temperate weather here would hinder the collection of enough sap to make syrup?

--Sage
Way Out in Texas