homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political Time Capsule (PTC)

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political Time Capsule (PTC)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:04:39 -0500

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I saved 15 to 20 posts that were fairly specific, and will forward them
> back to the list in their entirety as a type of time capsule for your
> amusement and comment. I think it's pretty interesting if you look at
> the big picture. I don't think that much has changed in 18 months, and
> if anything, we might be in worse shape from the conflict.

That should be embarrassing. :)

In retrospect, we shouldn't have expected so much with such a slim
majority. Only a few bills have been passed by both houses, and the
president has then vetoed several of those. The Dems have been highly
disappointing in protecting privacy rights, not to mention little
things like habeus corpus.

The Republicans have been more obstructive of more bills than has any
party in opposition in history -- which probably is neither here nor
there because the president would have vetoed most of that
legislation.

Congress has taken up some of its oversight functions again, but most
investigations end up being stonewalled by the Administration.
Billions of dollars have been paid to no-bid contractors in Iraq who
never completed the projects they were paid for, and nothing is done.
The entire Justice Department has been politicized, and Congress has
been blocked from investigating it by a White House that evidently
doesn't care about the Constitution, probably considering it even more
quaint than the Geneva Conventions.

And now that we're on the edge of a deep recession, or worse, the only
thing that Congress and the president can aree to do (aside from
bailing out a big bank -- and there are more to come) is to give
everyone $600. I suppose it will be useful to people who've been out
of work for a while.

Like Hillary, I was a Goldwater girl (and I still respect Mr.
Goldwater and a number of living conservatives). I didn't quit voting
for Republicans until Nixon promised he'd end the Viet Nam war and
didn't. I stiill split my ticket, but with the increase of loons in
the national party (it's not so bad in local and even state politics,
at least here in Illinois) I rarely vote for a Republican at the
national level.

Marie

Marie