homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political Time Capsule (PTC)

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political Time Capsule (PTC)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:36:43 EDT

> I don't think that much has changed in 18 months, and
> if anything, we might be in worse shape from the conflict.

Bev, your forwards are instructive, says I, mainly in this. We of this list
concentrated on cosmetic political issues, just like everyone else in the
country, and ignored the weightier matters that really affect our lives.

By 2006 when you were collecting these, the hue and cry had been firmly
raised about the effects of Peak Oil. Sure enough, crude production had hit
an all
time high in Dec of 2005 and has not risen above that since. What as the
price of gasoline during the election in 2006?? .... just looked it up, it
was
$2.23/gal. Those warning of the sharp rise to come in the price of crude
oil
and the resluting price of everything else were dismissed by the politicians
and populace at large as being lunatic fringe crackpot bloggers. Yet their
predictions were chillingly accurate.

The politicians at that time were clueless. They mumbled about ethanol and
drilling in ANWAR and all manner of trivial nonsense. And the result is that
this year grain, feed, and fertilizer are double and more what they were at
that time. And we have pressed starvation on a large part of the world's
population.

Likewise the same sort of lunatic fringe crackpost bloggers warned that the
world's finances were becoming geared to what was proffered at the time as an
unending rise in real estate values. Ain't makin' any more land, ya know!
Politicians pointed to the pseudo-wealth as a sign they had been doing a good
job.

Now a major bank has collapsed and more are on the way, the Fed has printed
an unprecedented amount of fiat money as well as an unprecedented percent of
it. Real estate values in some areas (California, Nevada, Arizona,and
Florida
most notably) have fallen more than 25% from their highs less than two years
ago. A depression of Biblical proportions looms at the window.

And yet, the idot politicians are pouring gasoline on the fire (and they
ought to be careful with that gasoline, it's expensive now of days) by
issuing
guarantees [promises their mouths are making but their posteriors cant't back
up]
with the worthless mortgage backed securities as collateral. Clueless!

Now, besides the fact that I have engaged with Gene Gerue on this list, a
fact which would doom my presidental aspirations by association from the
start,
no one would vote for me for a variety of reasons.

1.) I look scary.
2.) I would tell the truth.

As to the second, I would not say "we need to change the way we change",
'"yes we can", etc. Rather I'd say "You are all doomed! You've made your
bed
so prepare to lie in it!" The world as you know it is coming to an end!

Even if the candidates knew and appreciated the truth, they durst not say it.
</HTML>