homestead - Re: [Homestead] I found a house

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I found a house
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 07:47:43 -0700

On Mar 6, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Very correct and the reason the housing glut is never going away.

Dangerous item, that "n" word. Has been known to cause eggy faces.

Last Sunday we went down to The Farm at South Mountain for groceries and a look-see.

http://www.thefarmatsouthmountain.com/

Interesting and profitable use of edge land. Ten acres of old pecan orchard now embracing large gardens, chickens, three restaurants, catered wedding area. Waiting for brunch, Chris pointed out an old outdoor oven. I went over for inspection and photos. Firebox/oven about five feet deep. One could bake for a hundred in that thing.

Anyway, after we ate and checked out the place I drove west along the north edge of the South Mountain range (site of the world's largest municipal park, mostly rugged desert hiking trails) through flat, irrigated agricultural land--part of the ancient Salt River flood plain--that of course is being eaten for subdivisions and shopping centers. I was amazed to find that there are several home builders putting up new houses. Prices advertised on the direction signs stated "starting in the 150s." I figured it would be a couple years more before even those low-end builders would reenter the game. Never say never.