homestead - Re: [Homestead] Outside pizza oven, tiled

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Outside pizza oven, tiled
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:18:27 -0700

On Feb 18, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Gloria Morris wrote:

. Where I live
NOW, I have a sandy loam soil that is VERY sandy and not at all suitable for
making cob.

If there are streams or rivers near you there may be clay there. As you likely know, cob, and I suspect an oven also, is best with plenty of sand in the soil mix so that the walls don't crack from shrinkage.

It seems increasingly the case, as we explore the designs of outdoor ovens, that there are many materials and shapes that will get the job done.