homestead - Re: [Homestead] Smoke Out was Moles

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Smoke Out was Moles
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:19:29 -0400

Keeping dreams like that alive, including maybe setting some money aside in
a jar to make the trips possible, is one positive step toward the future, I
believe.

Right now, things are pretty much daily for me, as I'm struggling through
recovery from the surgery, losing weight at about 3/4 pound per day,
regulating medicine, etc....A trip to the grocery store seems like a major
undertaking. However, I'm gradually picking up students to tutor. As of
this coming week, I have one second semester Spanish student (for 2
sessions), one student in conversational Spanish, and one student in
developmental math (for 2 sessions, and maybe 3).

I was reminded this past week of how satisfying it is to see the light of
understanding spring into someone's eyes. The woman who was struggling with
developmental math suddenly started understanding some of the basic rules
of how to solve simple equations and word problems after I reviewed the
procedures with her. She had the explanation right there in her textbook
but hadn't really understood what it was saying. When she realized she was
able to solve homework assignments on her own, she started getting excited.
She is about 3 weeks behind in assignments. In 2 hours Thursday, we caught
her up for 1 of those weeks, and she thinks she can do at least another
week this week end. It is breakthroughs like this which make tutoring
rewarding. Goodness knows, the per hour pay doesn't!

Anyway, before that session(s) Thursday, I was thinking about quitting the
job. I can understand your being discouraged about your work, Bev. When we
are struggling at home with lack of money but plenty of time, the grass
looks greener on the employment side, doesn't it? My work is for a state
school and they just announced tighter restrictions starting in March. All
done in the name of security, and I somewhat appreciate it, but was not
sure I wanted the ID badge. We will have to scan in each session if we want
to get paid. sigh...
Lynn