homestead - Re: [Homestead] Earth charity

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Earth charity
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:17:38 -0700

On Jan 30, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Jerry B wrote:

Anyone interested in how excess amounts of carbon in the atmosphere can
be quickly restored to preindustrial levels through the restoration of
fertility in our soils does not have to read an entire book, but can
immediately read Allen C. Yeomans Chapter #5 pdf file, free, at:

http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/docs/PRIORITY-ONE-Chapter5.pdf.

It is titled "Soil Formation Can Halt Greenhouse Warming".

Jerry, I must admit that Yeomans' theory is unclear to me. He is like too many authors today: he uses far too many words but does not clearly make his point. I am an above-average reader and I do not understand how his theory works. The best I can deduce is that dead plant roots contain a lot of carbon and as long as they stay under the ground, then that carbon stays out of the atmosphere.

If in fact this is what he is saying, then he needs to provide the scientific research that supports his numbers. He postulates twenty percent organic matter in soil. I have been an organic enthusiast for decades and I have never seen anyone suggest such a number is feasible.

Btw, his name is spelled Allan J. Yeomans.