homestead - Re: [Homestead] Poultry, organic

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Poultry, organic
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:52:29 -0600

Same for us. It's a 16 hour round trip drive to get organic grain and we have neither the transportation or storage to purchase an amount that would make it worth our while. I presume the historic gristmill across the street from us was for grinding corn, as our soil is rocky too. Although, someone has told me two acres of wheat could supply our town and there's possibly that much good soil near the river. Having never grown it, I have no idea how much wheat an acre would produce.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas