homestead - Re: [Homestead] Earth charity

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Earth charity
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 04:55:06 -0700

On Jan 29, 2008, at 10:28 PM, Jerry B wrote:

It is claimed by Alan Yeoman's of Australia that
simply by raising the fertility of the already cropped topsoils 1.5
percent, we could remove all excess Carbon we have introduced into the
atmosphere within only ten years time. . . . I had hoped to read
your analysis of yeomans thesis Gene, but it appears you must not have
been much impressed, and I am wondering why.

Well, I'm working on other stuff, but I will give you this:

I've not read the book but I am aware of the message. For those in the dark, Allan J. Yeomans, in his book Priority One: Together We Can Beat Global Warming, proffers a menu of strategies to manage global temperature rise due to greenhouse gases. The pertinent connection here is his premise that we can sequester enough carbon in agricultural soil to halt global warming in about a decade. This would be accomplished by treating the soil as organic farmers do: low- or no- till, no chemicals, high humus input. Yeomans' book appears to be a fine effort and I hope his voice continues to be strong.

Rather than fear global warming, I welcome the challenge as a way to motivate humans to learn how to live more intelligently. It seems to me that the greatest challenge is from population growth. The widespread goal of living longer--which I share--contributes to the population problem. Excessive population will be handled by automatic correction. As human numbers grow and we become more consumptive there will be an exponential effect on Earth conditions. When Earth is sufficiently damaged then there will be population decrease. As humans gain more knowledge of Earth's mechanisms they will have the ability of make adjustments. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, too many disparate power sources with opposing agendas preclude coordinated intelligent response. Meaningful change will only occur when there is sufficient pain to create revolution. As forever, man will continue to evolve. The direction is unknowable.