homestead - Re: [Homestead] Earth charity

  • From: Jerry B <liberty AT kaballero.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Earth charity
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:44:09 -0500

Errr, I inadvertently deleted that I was thinking of posting to Allen Yeomans himself.

Jerry B wrote:
I really do want to get to the bottom of these issues. There are very few things more important to me.
I may paraphrase these comments and make it clear his comments will be published here. I think there is a good chance he will reply.
-------
The more available and tapped by the plants roots, the more of these Carbon ladened substances are deposited in the soil, and more carbon deposited and so on. As long as the elements of sun, water, and air can get to the roots. Without a hard-pan layer blocking the forces of gravity, the burrowing of creatures (ie earthworms) and especially the channel formation from decaying roots, these substances move further downwards. all this played a part also in depositing carbon under the oceans and land in the form of oil and coal.

Rather ironically, given present attention, the soil under virgin forests and jungles is relatively devoid of this action, hence carbon. Tree roots may last for long periods of time, unlike grasses, without decay, and are in the main, run quite shallow. It can take thousand of years to get past the solid substratum formed under forests and jungles ... thanks Allen. I was not sufficiently aware of that fact.
jerry b