homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butchering a hog - was Wood for Smoking Meats

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butchering a hog - was Wood for Smoking Meats
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:20:03 -0500

> I keep thinking of more questions..
> how big is that pasture, and what kind of fencing?

:>) Glad to answer. We had 6 people working on it. One was an 80 yo
man that liked that bottle of Maker's Mark, one was an 78 yo woman and
her daughter that were more interested in getting the blood and organs
to make the fritata ( and rendering lard).

3 middle aged men were the center of the team, but no-one was on duty
the whole time. It took us about 4 hours to get to the point that we
could have let it hang overnight. Cutting up the meat and bagging it
took me about 3 hours, but I'm slow at that sort of thing.

The hogs were first in a small area with electric fencing. Then I
moved them into an area of about 1/2 acre. With the dought, they
didn't get to digging it up until just lately, cause the ground was
dry an hard. Half the area is woods and has acorns. I'd like to add
another acre of woods to my hog pasture.

Rob - Va