homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butchering a hog - was Wood for Smoking Meats

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butchering a hog - was Wood for Smoking Meats
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:31:14 -0500

> I snipped your post to show why I was
> confused as to whether you skinned or scraped the hog...was part of it
> scraped and part of it skinned?

Actually, they scrape it and then skin it. The skin is used for soups
and such. It's like a delicacy for them. I don't like the skin is
soup. Next one I do gringo style and make cracklings out of the skin.

> When did you get the pair, and how big were they when you got them?

I got them in April and they were maybe 40 pounds or so, bigger than I
would have liked.

> How did you contain your piggies?

I raised them inside the fenced goat pasture, on the edge of the woods
and in the woods. They had enough space that there wasn't a lot of
smell.

The female hog is left and I just let her have the run of the goat
pasture for now. She's joined the herd and goes out to graze with
them. Today it's rained all day (thankfully) and she is in the goat
shed with baby goats hopping all over her playing. She's done a lot of
digging in the bedding there and it seems to be working. I'm sure
sleeping next to that big hog has to be a warm place.

Rob - Va