homestead - Re: [Homestead] Which way?

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Which way?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:26:24 -0500

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
The side we put up is the one that happens to be on
top when we spread the sheet out.
Did anyone else have the experiance of sleeping on
flour sack sheets. They had a seam down the center
each direction because they were made of 4 sacks sewn
together. I was surprised to learn that most sheets
weren't like that.
Ah, yes: making those seams was the way we learned to make good neat flat-felled seams---practice, practice. I still make a good flat-felled seam..... Then when the sheet began to wear in the center, one cut it apart and sewed what were the outside edges into a new center seam and hemmed the 'new' outside edges, thereby stretching the life of the thing until it truly was a rag, then it was laundered and carefully cut or torn into strips, which were rolled or folded and put in the 'rag drawer' on the left side. Those were our bandages.

I had, until the last fire 6 years ago, the first sheet I'd ever made, and somehow it still looked pretty to me: tiny little red figures on a whitish ground. I remember stubbornly hassling my brother to rearrange the feed bags so I could get four of the same pattern freed up early and thus get started. Funny how some of that stuff sticks with you.

Susan Jane, in Maine, where feed comes in truly nasty plastic now.