homestead - [Homestead] Hand tools - for firewood

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Hand tools - for firewood
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:24:37 -0500

Hey all,

I just finished up the main trunk on that red oak tree today. (It has
two more 12-18" trunks). The tree had been dead for a year, so was
tough cutting. Split nicely and I have maybe 3/4 a corde of wood from
it. Still some small stuff on the ground, that I may try to salvage.
The wood was not completely dry, more soured sort of.

As I was using the chainsaw on this, I was thinking about hand tools.
I'm the kind of homesteader that doesn't mind "cheating" on hand
tools, but I like to use them and feel like I should have the tools
and skills to use them.

I split the wood by hand, but what are the basic saws for one or two
people needed to fell a tree and buck it up?

Rob - Va