homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hand tools - for firewood

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hand tools - for firewood
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:00:15 -0600

On Nov 20, 2007 7:03 AM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> Any one person in reasonable shape can use a two man crosscut saw. The
> reason for the two man arrangement is that all such saws are more efficient
> on the
> pull stroke than the push stroke. With two sawyers it's all pull strokes.

I remember that it didn't take us all that long too bring even the
biggest trees that we attempted down (of course, it's been 40 years so
some hazy glow may pertain here. I'm sure we were slower than a guy
with a big chainsaw would have been, but not ridiculously slow. Plus,
you see progress with every pull.

Marie