homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hand tools - for firewood

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hand tools - for firewood
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:22:28 -0700

On Nov 18, 2007, at 7:24 PM, Robert Walton wrote:

I split the wood by hand, but what are the basic saws for one or two
people needed to fell a tree and buck it up?

Crosscut saws have long been made in both one-man and two-man versions. I learned as a teen to make firewood with a crosscut saw before we got a chainsaw. In the early days of chainsaws, they were so heavy and awkward they required two guys to handle them. The modern chainsaw is a marvel, but expensive. And seriously dangerous.

For making firewood out of limbs and smaller stuff, a bucksaw is good. If the wood is light enough to get up onto a cutting rack your back will be happier. I have somewhere a steel tool that grabs a log like a peavy and then you rock back and it lifts the log off the ground, which saves the teeth of whichever saw is being used.