homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:12:28 -0700

At 10/3/2007, you wrote:
Have you considered building a mill, either chainsaw
or band-saw. It is doable but I haven't decided if it
is worth the effort.

Like many things building your own is one way to get something cheaper but you are usually trading time for money. Chasing down cheap parts and materials takes a lot of time and it often gets to the point of buying a new part just to get it done.

That being said, I like a unit I saw many years ago that used a VW air cooled engine on an angle iron carriage. The blade was bolted directly to the VW crank. I cannot remember how they started the engine but outside the engine, which were cheap at the time, the whole thing was cheap and easy to build.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com