homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:42:49 -0500

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:22 AM, Don Bowen KI6DIU wrote:

At 10/3/2007, you wrote:
Right. The chainsaw mills are modest in price and output. I will
almost certainly get one of those.

It seems to me that the chainsaw mills are best at making beams while a
bandsaw mill is best at boards. The chainsaw kerf is so much more than
even a circular saw. This wide kerf not only requires more blade
sharpening but it also takes more power. The low price though more than
makes up the difference. In a limited stand, only selecting for posts and
beams would make it even more economical.

So, how much for long beams in the area?

Argh! Juice just went off and I lost what I was writing.

I have never checked for retail prices of big stuff. Always use what I can create here. Have bought quite a bit from local mill and then planed it. They now have planer and T&G equipment. At the mill as at the building supply places quality is a big issue. Lumber today is crap compared to twenty years ago.

I once cut about thirty logs and had the mill people come get them and cut them to my specs and bring it back. I was not satisfied with the results. That was the genesis of my thoughts to buy my own means of production.

Won't do anything on this, except research, until I get the metal barn built. That will give me lots of room for air drying.