homestead - Re: [Homestead] Morning musing

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Morning musing
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:45:41 -0500

On 9/21/07, Wendy <crazygardens AT verizon.net> wrote:
> That wasn't the fault of the technology, but a bunch of drunken operators.

The operators may not have been much but the technology wasn't good
either. It's been years since I read the report in which our own
Department of Nuclear Safety presented all known data and analysis of
what went wrong (so we could be sure our nuclear plants in Illinois,
which supply 20 percent of the electricity generated in the state,
wouldn't do a Chernobyl). The conclusion was that the Russians were
using outdated technology and had NO containment vessel.

I'm not reflexively antinuclear. I made a good living for years
editing documents dealing with site nuclear waste facilites in
Illinois and North Carolina (and even did alittle on Yucca Mountain).
Personally, I think Yucca Mountain is a whole lot better than leaving
the stuff scattered around the country in pools of water. Especially
now that the terrorists now that we don't have any kind of plan to
defend our nuclear power plants (which they allegedly didn't attack on
9/11 because they thought they would be too well defended).

But don't get me started on a rant. :)

Marie