homestead - Re: [Homestead] New Toy

  • From: Tim Oppenheim <timopp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New Toy
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:20:57 -0500

I bought a 68 Cub 154 lo-boy. This was non-offset one, but the same engine and drive train as the earliest Cubs.
My small tractor is a marvel of simplicity and parts are easily found. The one thing that is a caveat is the PTO runs at engine speed so you have to buy implement to match the machine. Woods Mowers are still being built, but that's about all.

Mine came with a Cat 1 3point hitch that works pretty well, even with the one way hydraulics.

I find it kind of sad that the great American small ( and British, Ferguson) tractors like the International and Ford and Massey were all built here and have lasted forever, but what is being built now is not close to being the same.