homestead - Re: [Homestead] New Toy

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New Toy
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:16:51 -0700

At 8/9/2007, you wrote:
I just purchased a Ford tractor, apparently a 9N
though I have conflicting information on that.

What is the bolt circle of the rear wheels. Small bolt circle is an 8N, large is a 9N. By large I mean near the outside diameter of the wheel, small is near the axle like a modern car wheel. There are many other differences but those are the quickest.

9N Introduced in 1939 after the "handshake" deal between Henry Ford and Harry Ferguson.
Produced to 1942.
2N Introduced in 1942. Basically a 9N with steel wheels and no electrics.
Produced to 1948, rubber tires and electrics were reintroduced and many had after market kits installed.
8N introduced in 1948 after Henry I had died and Henry Ford II saw that the Handshake" deal was costing the company. Started what at the time became the most costly law suit in Ford's litigant history. Harry Ferguson won the suit.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com