homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hair conditioner alternative

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hair conditioner alternative
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:40:30 -0800

Well then, there's avocado which you mash with coconut milk. Or there's plain ol' mayo or yogurt.

Or a real old-fashioned recipe from Grandma's days:

Oregano Detangler

Oregano detangles and adds manageability. Vanilla adds shine and luster.

1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cold water to cover

Heat all ingredients in small pan on low heat. Simmer 30 minutes, remove from heat and strain mixture. When cool, pour into spray bottle. Use after shampooing and conditioning daily, saturating ends of hair and leave on.

Keeps in fridge for up to 3 days. Or so they say. I put it in a tightly closed jar and it keeps up to a week.

Or, you can make a half recipe and use it once and toss the rest.

Lynda

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy Anderson" <illiinnarra AT verizon.net>

I am trying to get away from creme rinses. I detest synthetic chemicals
in my house and I want to be dependent on as few consumer goods as
absolutely possible (preferably none at all). I wondered if olive oil
would work, then I imagined using the apple cider vinegar (ACV) that I
use for my own hair with olive oil, and realized I would just be putting
salad dressing on their heads. :)