homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hair conditioner alternative

  • From: Judy Anderson <illiinnarra AT verizon.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hair conditioner alternative
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:41:58 -0400

I am trying to get away from creme rinses. I detest synthetic chemicals in my house and I want to be dependent on as few consumer goods as absolutely possible (preferably none at all). I wondered if olive oil would work, then I imagined using the apple cider vinegar (ACV) that I use for my own hair with olive oil, and realized I would just be putting salad dressing on their heads. :)

Judy

Lynda wrote:
For long hair, the easiest way to detangle is also the cheapest. Go to any Dollar Store or discount store and buy the cheapest creme rinse (you don't need conditioner) you can find. Mix a capful or two in a large cup (like something you'd get at Mickey Ds) of water and pour over the ends of the hair. Don't pour over their head. Use a pin brush to detangle while the hair is still dripping wet (I had the kidlets stand in the shower) and then rinse the hair.

Makes for nice untangled and shiney hair without the build-up on the scalp.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy Anderson" <illiinnarra AT verizon.net>

I switched from shampoo to castile soap for washing hair, but now the
kids' hair is in need of a conditioner because it feels very dry. I
have started using ACV for my own hair, but I don't get it nearly as
snarled as little girls under 10 with long hair do. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Judy