homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tree ID

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tree ID
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:03:05 -0800

There are blue persimmons. Perhaps you have those. Scroll down about half way on the page at this link:

http://www.simmonfruit.net/persimmon_improvement.html

"Interestingly, there are also reports of specimens being discovered
which exhibit deep, purple-blue colored fruit in contrast to the typical
yellow to orange-red. It is known that a handful of blue colored
selections have been identified and clonally propagated to some extent.
Two of the oldest are Mood Indigo and Siebrare.3, 23 Both appear to
have been lost to cultivation without much ado. Prof. McDaniel
described Mood Indigo as "barely edible". Prof. Slate wrote about
growing a plum colored variety called Spencer but noted that its fruit
quality was considered inferior.18 Another blue fruited variety named
Blue was discovered by Leon Pounds in the 1970's. This variety is still
available through the nursery trade. More recently, a blue fruited
specimen has been discovered in Marion County, Iowa and is depicted
here. Irregardless (sic) of their novelty, blue persimmons have
remained little more than curiosities, and all of the cultivars with
superior fruit quality are of the yellow to orange colored variety with
a few exceptions that have more of a reddish hue."

I think I asked this once before, but CRS has striken, so here we go again..
I have several trees on my property that have a fruit that is the color
of a blueberry, but the size and shape of a persimmon. This grows in
the woods alongside the hickories, oaks, and sweetgums. It must fruit
in late June, as I am finding the semi-dried fruits on the ground now.
Each fruit has multiple seeds, like a persimmon, but this is not a
persimmon tree.