homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tree ID

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tree ID
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:57:13 -0500

Hi Bev & everyone,

It's Sage...I helped you ID the Bear's Foot flowers (Do you have any seeds yet?). I agree with the others, it sounds like a persimmon. What do it's leaves look like? The one we have here with fruits as you describe have small oval leaves 1/4" to under an inch in length. Ours are small trees about 6 to 8 feet tall and very smooth bark.

Here in the Texas hill country we've been experiencing the wettest summer on record, and I haven't posted in a while because we've gone through four floods...we're just trying to do damage control on the homestead. Everything in the garden is ripening late, and our melons are really small too. Although we've had plenty of bees, I haven't seen one bumble bee this year, and it seems like the melons are suffering from lack of pollination--lots of flowers, little produce. Tomatoes are just starting to ripen, and we'll start canning tonight.

--Sage
Way out in Texas

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:15:59 -0400