homestead - Re: [Homestead] Howard Zinn: On July 4, Put Away the Flags

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Howard Zinn: On July 4, Put Away the Flags
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:09:43 -0500

Zinn is one of my favorite historians, and one cannot take him lightly. In the same vein, here is a quote that has been bandied about a great deal, especially since September 11:
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." --Samuel Johnson (Boswell's Life of Johnson) http://www.samueljohnson.com/qotw02q2.html#0630

On the other hand, I received a 4th of July e-card from a friend in the Canary Islands (go figure) that has Uncle Sam saying, "If it weren't for Independence Day, we would all be drinking tea and eating crumpets and fish and chips like a bunch of Queen-loving pudding servers."
http://www.yahoo.americangreetings.com/display.pd?path=40925&prodnum=3122340
While it is meant to evoke a smile, it does make a relevant point.

Jerry