homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 06:35:44 -0700 (PDT)

Is it understanding or just assumption about
homogeneity? And does this effect last for
generations? And does it work for all economic
levels. Biltmore has always been for the upper
income, Desert Ridge and Superstition Mountain are
still very new.
Maryvale was once a middle class homogeneous
development but has lost much of it's desirability in
forty years. Our downtown neighborhood is an example
of the opposite. When houses in our neighborhood
were selling for 100K, 4 blocks north they were going
for 250K, 4 blocks south for less than 30. One of my
Phoenix neighbors tried to buy a house in Maryvale
about 1970 but didn't qualify so he bought downtown,
when he told me that story his downtown house was
worth at least ten times the one he couldn't buy in
Maryvale.
One of the differences is that when one house in a
homogeneous neighborhood goes downhill immediate
neighbors see it as a threat and are more apt to sell
out.
Van Dell