homestead - Re: [Homestead] A homestead model

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A homestead model
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:47:34 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/2007 11:08:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mmcharry AT gmail.com writes:

> We have property tax, however. And mandatory car insurance.
> And Social Security tax on the first dollar earned. How do you deal
> with that?

I earn money and pay it. Were I to follow Gene's advice and write all this
up, one chapter would be "Render Unto Caesar the Things that are Caesar's".
We
have some cottage industries and I have one that *could* be quite lucrative
if I pursued it with a vim, which I don't. As it is, it provides for some
income.

Also we, even the older children, take temporary jobs off farm from time to
time for a little income as well as some amusement. Most are low wage labor
jobs. Wouldn't want to do that for weeks on end, but it's amusing to do it
from
time to time. Sometimes even a little professional work is taken on.

It's plenty to pay self-employment (which is 15% skimmed right off the top),
property tax, tea, coffee, olive oil, pvc pipe, etc. etc. Actually we stash
away more than we spend out of that tak

Also, you obviously have an Internet connection and

> probably a phone. My experience is that those things cost more out in
> the boonies.

Actually it's cheaper. It is a dialup for about $8 a month. Phone rates
here are quite cheap, the base rate is about $13/mo including the taxes and
we
all but never make long distance calls.

As you have pointed out, there are fixed costs. Phone, a little electricity,
internet, property taxes, car insurance (here it's liability only, van and
pickup have no cash value to insure) which is about $100 per six months each
vehicle. Everything else is on the Mason Jar School of Economics. If we
want
something, imagine we might want it, we set up a mason jar (literally or
figuratively) and come up with a plan for filling it. First there is the
vehicle
fund. I can get another truck like the one I use for hauling for about $1000
or
less, so long ago a truck replacement fund was started and has been filled
for some time. It will sit there until what time the Great White Hope dies
and
must be replaced. There is also a fund for a dentist checkup for everyone
and
a physical check up for the children. It's a little pricey but we manage to
do it without much sweat.

That is, we never borrow money. Never.

> Both my parents lived long and healthy lives, but would have been
> quite miserable at the end without financial resources (not to mention
> daughters devoted to making their lives as comfortable as possible). I
> admire your willingness to not worry about the future, but I'm finding
> that as old age approaches few of my previous assumptions apply.

My solution is quite simple, and I'm surprised it hasn't occured to more
people. As you know, although not everyone agrees, I am a very staunch
believer
that 99% of our medical problems are self-induced and could be self-relieved.

What can't can be born with a non-whining cheeriness. My own parents have
always had this attitude and are doing quite well in their independence in
their
80's.

But, my plan is simple. If the time should come when I can't maintain this
lifestyle and if I have no children or others to look after me out of
affection, then I will die. I've had a good run and what's to regret?
</HTML>