homestead - Re: [Homestead] true for you, or ol' wive's tale?

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] true for you, or ol' wive's tale?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:51:39 -0500

Nope. I have seen horse pastures grazed down to mud and the wild garlic still stands. One year all my ornamental alliums disappeared. I had left the leaves on the flower beds in the fall and the mice had winter snacks. So I don't mulch alliums at all anymore and I make sure the fall leaves are cleaned up around them. No more disappearing alliums.

Wendy

Although heavy rains have obliterated evidence, under
strong suspicion are Odocoileus virginianus.

I forgot to mention that there is considerable horse manure in the
yard and garden area. Does anyone know if horses eat garlic?