homestead - Re: [Homestead] true for you, or ol' wive's tale?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] true for you, or ol' wive's tale?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:43:35 -0700

On Apr 18, 2007, at 6:55 AM, tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

. . . as the deer do not usually bite things near my
many alliums.

Last week at Heartwood I found that my best-yet garlic planting had disappeared. When last seen in late November the tops were about ten inches tall. Now, approximately 200 tops, roots, seed cloves--all gone. Surviving were four green onions that had somehow propagated in the same bed. Although heavy rains have obliterated evidence, under strong suspicion are Odocoileus virginianus.