homestead - Re: [Homestead] true for you, or ol' wive's tale?

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] true for you, or ol' wive's tale?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:26:30 -0700

tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

Hi All,
i have posted this query on other lists, but no response from the
gardeners yet. I thought to see what you all think.

I have alot of alliums planted each year - 20-some varities of garlics,
Leeks and Elephant Garlic, 4 kinds of multiplying/'tater onions, storage
onions, and red scallions. I have heard that onions do not do well
"near" to any legumes.
According to PNW gardening writer Steve Solomon, someone has actually tried an experimment. In fact, this was the only crop pair where there was any noticeable effect, of the many tested. But it was the Alliums that had an inhibitive effect on the legumes!

I have made some low berm beds about 2.5 feet
wide, that have about a 3' spread between them. I need to save seed from
too many beans and peas to refresh my seed library, and am wondering
about putting an heirloom sugar crowder pea/bean and Jacob's Cattle Beans
(bush) between these rows, as the deer do not usually bite things near my
many alliums. Do you think that this is a true for you thing - this not
liking to be near each other? I have found other such statements untrue
to my garden - like the same news about Fennels causing nearby plants to
do poorly.

We have the fennel clump in the ground, not in a garden bed. It doesn't need any babying.

Bill
S. Oregon coast